Sunday, March 17, 2013

Akwaaba!

We made it!!! Our flight went well, and it was hard to sleep because I was so excited to come back to Ghana. First thing I noticed is just how hot and humid it is here!!! We arrived and exchanged money, and then bought water (the essentials). After that we checked into our hotel, and lucky me....I got a suite! I have a living room with a mini kitchen and a king sized bed all to myself. There were even swans on my bed (made from towels) with rose petals. I am lovin' this place! This afternoon our group of 11 teachers and 1 staff member from IREX had lunch at the hotel. It has been a long time since I have had fried plantains, chicken, rice, and red sauce- delicious! Afterwards we had our first learning session on the History and Culture of Ghana. The thing that struck me the most was that people spend more money on funerals than education. A typical Ghanaian funeral is a week long, which consists of 3 days of parties and ceremonies complete with dancing, food, and drink. It is a happy time. What a difference in comparison with how we see funerals in the United States!

Great first day. I am exhausted! I didn't sleep at all, so I have been up for nearly 2 days straight. Tomorrow we are having a welcome dinner at the American Embassy. Happy St. Patty's Day from Ghana!!









No comments:

Post a Comment