Thursday, March 28, 2013

Making Batik- an Important African Craft

We had the opportunity to learn how to make the African craft of Batik. This is the process of putting hot wax on a stamp onto a cloth and creating a design. Then after finishing the stamping (which took forever!), we died the cloth and then hung it to dry. Since blue is my favorite color, I wanted my very own batik in something that I would use- a tablecloth. After it was hung, I could see how neat the design turned out as it interacted with the color. Then we had to swirl it up in a boiling pot of water over a fire to melt the wax off. Afterwards, it hung to dry. I have always wanted to see this craft in action, and I am very glad we were invited in to see for ourselves and actually make our very own batik!!!

Here, batik is used for making clothes, table cloths, bags, purses, pretty much anything!!!













No comments:

Post a Comment