Saturday, March 30, 2013

Goodbye Ghana....Hello USA!

It is hard to say goodbye to Ghana......I feel like I have left a part of myself years ago, and again this time with my TGC (Teachers of Global Classrooms) experience. Throughout my weeks in Ghana, I was focusing on how the country has progressed in terms of healthcare since I lived there 9 years ago. I feel like I left with more questions on healthcare than when I arrived!

Ghana has changed over the years for the better. They are progressing. I was of course hoping to see that they would have changed much more, but I am impressed with what I did notice. Last time I was in Ghana, there were billboards, bumper stickers, posters- everything advertising safe sex and HIV/AIDS awareness. This time in Ghana, I noticed that I didn't see much of that at all. I did make it to several cities and regions of the country during my time, and I think I only saw a total of 3 signs about HIV/AIDS. We met with some education leaders in Ghana to find out that the rate of HIV/AIDS in Ghana is the lowest in all of Africa! What an improvement!!! I was amazed at what Ghana has done to educate their people about HIV/AIDS in the last decade. What a difference education can make!!

Another big change is their money- they have changed their currency since I have been there. They now have coins called "pace-ways" (not spelled right, that is just how it is said). They also have different bill denominations. In the past, 10,000 Cedis (Cedi is the name of their currency) was equal to $1 USD. They have changed their money to make it easier (in my eyes that is!) so that now 2 cedis is equal to $1 USD. It makes things much easier! (see picture of cedis below)

All in all, I had a wonderful experience in Ghana. I am blessed to have had the opportunity to return to such a great country full of riches in resources and people. Everyone in Ghana is so friendly and welcoming, even to me- the "obruni." "Obruni" is a term used for white person, and it is not derogatory, but more of a friendly term. I really am lucky to have been chosen for the fellowship from the State Dept. for this amazing experience. I have developed great friendships and working relationships with colleagues around the United States and Ghana. Now....time to head home!!








No comments:

Post a Comment